Tuesday, September 10, 2013

12 Minutes to Midnight

I started today at 8 o'clock, with an energetic Hungarian mathematician and a new friend, where I pleaded my case and got an unusual research project (unusual because it is so applied in nature) approved for study this semester. Work on that followed, then at 10 probability theory, at 12 Algebraic Topology, a short break, then a review of Classical Algebra before a class on Quantum Information and Quantum Compution. I left the building at 7 in the evening. I can't give a better explanation of what happened in any of these classes because 1. they've just started and I don't know myself yet, and 2. I have no brain any more after today.

A few insights into today, though.
First: Getting the research project approved sent me into spirals of happiness. I got an email a few weeks ago saying this type of project couldn't be supported by the program here, and for some reason, I had the guts to write back and ask them to reconsider, which got me the 'hearing' this morning, if you will. And it payed off. :)

Second: Algebraic Topology made me remember why I'm studying math. We didn't even do anything big or exciting today (I suppose), but the professor started to talk, I had my nice, proper paper (I don't use the nice stuff for classes I only might take, you see, and there are a lot of those in the first week - from the first five minutes of this class, I knew I would take it), my color-coded system of pens, and could feel myself start to smile. I was at home again. Math is so beautiful.

Third: I hate that this is abnormal, but it is and I will make a mention of it - today, besides when I had to write an email for my research project, I didn't use my computer. It stayed at home all day and after the days of sickness and netflix in particular, but also just computer-heavy days in general, it is so lovely to have a day without it. Chalk, pen, paper, people.

Fourth: My day starts again at 8 tomorrow. Oy vey.

Five: For the second time in three months (which makes only two times out of at least two years of enjoying running outside), I thought my head had "enough thoughts in it" and that I therefore didn't need music on my run (or a podcast or book). And it was actually blissful. Also, I am strong enough to run again. Feeling healthy is exhilarating. (I promise not to go too crazy with it)

--

Now it is 4 minutes to midnight. I will put myself to bed - I've been so busy the past two days. So much math, so many students, so many syllabi and professors. Different world than the one of structured finance, elevators, and conference calls of the summer. But those worlds intersect in math, coffee, and me. I'm really not sure which one I will go into next, though as predicted, this program is coaxing the pure math intentions. There's a lot of thinking to do in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment