Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Gray Skies

It's slowly turning into evening on a gray day when it feels like the sun was never really out, so it hardly makes sense that it would set. I spent the last few hours sitting in the Companion Bakeshop, a lovely café here in Santa Cruz where it seems to be a requirement that all the workers are young, female, and willowy with drapey gorgeous clothing and stunning scarves hanging gently around their necks. The coffee is from one of the best coffee roasters on the West Coast (in my opinion - Blue Bottle Coffee Co.) and the bread at this bakery is also one of the loveliest parts of Santa Cruz eating. I got myself a loaf of their classic rye bread - all rye flour (usually rye is mixed with wheat, since otherwise, the bread is quite dense - but I love dense bread!) plus some sunflower seeds and caraway seeds - it feels like a brick, and I love it.

When I was at the café, I was working on a presentation that I'm going to give next week up at Mills about the Budapest math program. It's fun, going through my old notes and pictures and trying to decide what's the most important to say or tell or show, what I would have liked to know before going, what would have made me want to apply. It's also neat just to remember being there. It's only been about two months or a bit less since I was there, but it feels really far away. Earlier this week I got to visit with some friends that I knew there, and that was especially cool - they knew me in that context, and then suddenly they were in Berkeley, but we still had all of these Budapest memories in common. Very surreal.

And of all things, right now, I am trying to remember a fact that just won't come to me (yet). Last night, the rolfer told me that I looked just a bit like the main girl in a certain film - and understand, I never get told that I look like anyone. So, naturally, I wanted to look it up when I got home. However, by the time I got home, I was just so thrilled with the intro to rolfing that I completely forgot the name of the film. My brain tells me it was a one-word title, and a name at that - and I think that name started with a G. However, after just scrolling through Wikipedia's list of films that begin with G (yes, such a thing exists), I haven't yet found it. G might be wrong. I don't want to let it go, so I'm going to keep looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment