Thursday, August 23, 2012

iPhone Review

I know this is not a tech blog. I know you might not want to hear about the iPhone. But I'm going to give a brief review anyway.

I got an iPhone as a birthday present about a week ago. Instant reaction: I love it. I'm not sure I know anyone who has not had this reaction. But, let's look a bit more specifically.

Price: Pricey. No way around it. This is not a cheap phone. However, compared to the other android versions (that I have messed around with in stores), I found it much easier to use. At first, I thought this was only because I've lived in a mostly mac world for the past three years - but this is not the case, according to the numerous people with whom I have discussed the subject.

What exactly does it do that's so cool?: The iPhone does what every smartphone does, plus a bit more, and with some more flair. I'm not saying that just because I'm in love with it - Apple has invested in making sexy appliances, and they've done it. I heard somebody say today (a true tech guy referring to his iPhone) "You know, I can't count the number of appliances and electronic devices I've had in my life. This is the only one I've had an emotional attachment to."

As a student and a member of my generation, this phone does some very important things that my old phone did. Calling and taking pictures and storing contacts. Amen. However, it also takes very good pictures. It is internet-capable (making it so I can Skype at all times - very, very useful for someone who cares a lot about someone else across the ocean where phone calls are expensive). It has very, very user friendly simple software - such as note taking and reminder software. (These reminders, by the way, can work two ways - one is a simple alarm: Remind me at 2:30 to call my dad, etc. However, if you allow the location services on your phone (i.e. for your provider and Apple to track your phone and see where you are -- creepy, yes, but it enables lots of features and, let's face it, they probably already know where you are if you ever use the internet) the reminders could even be: When I get home, remind me to grab my checkbook. Crazy, right?

Just so you know, I have not (as of yet) enabled that location feature.

To sum things up, I would say that the iPhone does 100% of what my old phone used to do, plus 25% more of things that I can almost say I "need" (as much as a person needs Skype, you see) and then, 25% more things that are absolutely unnecessary and unabashedly fun. That's technology for you.

By the way, I'm flying back out to school on Saturday. I'm gonna be a senior. I know, I can't believe it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment