Thursday, November 8, 2012

First Experience of Cinema Modernism

Next week, I'll have my exam on realism in my film class. To "clear our minds" before then and give us something completely new (which I actually do think can help the brain study, or better analyze what it already knows), our professor showed us Persona tonight, our first example of modernism, - written, directed, and produced by Ingmar Bergman.

Oh. My. Goodness. So, this film is quite well known or at least heard of for those who have studied film, but I'm not sure about the rest of the world. I feel like an older generation would know it better - but even so, it's not a blockbuster type movie. Not at all. It deals with the question of whether there really is anything within an individual person that makes them an individual, that informs their actions, that is specific to that person. Is there anything that makes me different from you, from my professor, from an enemy of mine? How much influence do we have on each other? Can one person make another person do something?

I highly, highly recommend it. 83 minutes that will feel like 10. Yes, it's weird -- it's modernism, people -- but it is absolutely worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment