Sunday, December 2, 2012

In other news...

A water main broke on campus, so about eight buildings (including my dorm, of course) are without water. They say they hope to have it fixed by 6 tomorrow morning, but it actually could be out until tomorrow evening. In an email warning everyone about this, they said they had some extra water available at the front gate if anyone wanted it ("emergency water").

So, not quite wanting to go to bed yet, I bundled up in my wool coat, a hat, and a scarf (it's upper 40s, low 50s here and rainy and wet - around 10 degrees, for you Celsius folks - cold for CA!) and trudged down to the main gate. It's maybe a ten minute walk from my dorm - up to the top of the hill on whose side I live and then all the way down the hill on the other side. The air was nice and cool and I passed the group of trucks and men in thick coats, digging a hole to get to the pipe that was the problem. They'll be working through the night on it. And that's really, really good of them. I'm quite thankful for it.

I got the water - it looked like they had enough to spare, so I didn't feel bad for taking "emergency" water when my only "emergency" would be brushing my teeth and maybe having a cup of coffee in the morning. But it was lovely to walk. Maybe I should see campus by night more often! Perhaps with company next time.

But now, I'm back and bed and warm and will soon be asleep. Cheers, everyone. Happy December 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment