Friday, August 16, 2013

Briefly Put:

I got here. The flights were fine.  I've been wildly lucky all day with big, unexpected things, and unlucky with other unexpected small things, so the good outweighs the bad - an entire row to myself on the plane so that I could sleep, a beautiful day to arrive, a landlady who not only has a single apartment for me (I'm so happy to get the chance to live alone in my own space) but also had a hot traditional meal ready for me when I arrived and then gave me a walking tour of the area where the apartment is. My knowledge of German saved my ass in the grocery store tonight - I've never felt so rude and stupid in --- well, wait. Since Thailand, I guess, which is the only other time I've gone into a situation with so little prior knowledge. Rude because I can't even say thank you (looking that up now, don't fret) and stupid because of obvious reasons. But it's not stupidity, I know. It's not like I've been taught this before. And it'll get better. I learned three words just from being out today - the words for street, center, and square. This language is going to be fun.

Oh, and I came here to do math- I keep forgetting. I think I need to sleep for a week. Then I can think about math again.

P.S. I woke up "this morning" (last time I was in a bed) in Meadville. I had breakfast with an old school friend, had a dentist appointment, went to the gym, and helped my sister at the farm she's been working at all summer. I can't believe that was this same day. Traveling is weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment