Sunday, July 29, 2012

So, it didn't all go as planned.

I wrote several things for this blog the day before yesterday while I was in planes and the one that I posted that day is slightly outdated. In order for my entries to make sense, let me just tell you that I was quite impulsive at the gate in Frankfurt on that tell-tale morning. As usual, the airline had overbooked the flight, thinking that some people wouldn't show up. This means that they were looking for volunteers to take another flight later in the day to free up some seats. Usually, I don't have flexible enough plans to do this. Also, when they look for volunteers, they always offer some sort of compensation - usually something like "200 Dollars to be used for the purchase of your next Lufthansa flight" - not all that tempting. But on that day? "We are looking for at least four volunteers to fly out later today, from Frankfurt to Denver, Colorado and from there to San Francisco. You'll get in about six hours later than you would with the original nonstop flight... we are offering 600 Euros, in cash, for anyone who would volunteer..." That's right. In cash. To be used on whatever the hell you want, not just for a flight.

I debated for about a minute and a half, then went up to the counter and volunteered. And that's how my day began. I'll post what happened afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment