Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"Obama hat es noch einmal geschafft" - tagesschau.de

Thank goodness.

In a turn of events that is very, very "mills", I was in class during most of the exciting bits of the election today. I sent in my vote about a week and a half ago and got a text message from my father about two hours into class saying that PA had gone for Obama, and that was the first victory. By the time my class ended, it was pretty much certain that he would take the country again - I have to admit, I was a bit bummed I couldn't join in a tense atmosphere that would (in my head) have a miraculously sudden turn for Obama at about 10:00 in the Student Union room where a party was going on. Instead, as I left my lecture, from across campus I could already hear the cheers coming from that room. Erin and I popped in for a few minutes (a friend of ours who was running the tickets for this event ((3$ apiece, to pay for food, etc.)) saw us, smiled, and when I took out my wallet simply said "It's on Obama." and waved us inside) but not long. Then, we trudged back up the hill where we watched the live coverage on youtube and google and tried to understand the electoral college just a bit better.

Yes, I'm excited. Quite excited, actually. But really -- I can't help thinking that we've just managed NOT to be a complete laughingstock. Hooray, we managed to NOT elect a leader of this country who would send us backwards. Maybe that's a bit too pessimistic, but it's how I'm feeling at the moment. It still makes me concerned that someone like Romney has so much support in this country. Concerned, but unfortunately not surprised.

BUT - support or no, undeniable charm or no, it wasn't enough. Thank goodness.

Also, two more states (Maine and Maryland) voted yes on marriage equality tonight. :)

The servers here are so overrun I can barely get my blog page to load, let alone listen to Obama's speech, so I think it's bedtime for me and I'll catch a rerun in the morning. Well done, USA. See you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment