Sunday, June 3, 2012

Current reading list.

I realized the other day that I am reading 5 books right now and they are all so good that I thought I'd want to mention them!

1) How To Be Good by Nick Hornby:
This book is light, funny, and a quick read. This was my plane reading on the way over to the states (before I got swept up in another book while I was there, therefore changing my reading for the way back!) and is about a woman who has almost decided to leave her husband, so far hasn't done it, but is going through a hilarious chain of events and change in the character of her husband. Summaries are hard. This doesn't make the book sound all that exciting, but it made me laugh out loud even in an airplane, so I can really recommend it.

2) Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear:
Oh my goodness, is this book fun. This is the one that distracted me from the one about. It's about a female detective in the 1920s. I want to read this book all the time. It is fantastic. Also light, also funny, and just very intriguing. If you readers also have enjoyed any of Downton Abbey, I would recommend this book. I thank both my Aunt who kept talking to me about this book when I was in the states a few weeks ago and my Grandmother, who bought the book because my Aunt talked to her about it, but then we were sitting in the café attached to the bookstore where she bought the book and she made the mistake of letting me read it over my cappucino, and then I couldn't put it down and she was kind enough to give it to me!

3) The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain:
This is the book I ended up buying on audiobook for my jogging and gym adventures. I now know why it's a classic. I look forward to my runs so that I get to hear more - this book has such a sweet, gentle way of endearing itself to you. I think I am enjoying it in audio form far more than I would if I had a physical copy because I think the dialects would be a bit hard to decipher at times. The recording I have is from Elijah Wood (Frodo in Lord of the Rings, for those of you who don't know him) and I'm really, really enjoying it.

4) Cellophane by Marie Arana:
I don't quite know what to say about this book. Intriguing, that's what it is. It's about an engineer who has dreamed about opening a paper factory and moves to the middle of the jungle in South America to do this and ends up inventing cellophane. Yes, there's a lot more to the story, but -- I have no idea what to say. I've been "reading" this book for several months - it's the one next to my bed and at least once a week I read a few pages and it makes me smile just a bit and wonder just a bit, but then I put it down for a while. I have no idea where it's going, but I like it. Pick it up if you want something intriguing!

5) The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes:
I'm sure more of you have heard of this one. It was recently on the New York Times Bestseller list and for good reason. This book is so beautiful that most explanations fall short. It's the story of a man and the things that happen to him, but as is usually the case, it is how it is told that makes it incredible. If you only pick one book to read out of all the ones here, let it be this one!

Okay! That was more fun than comparing the phonetics of English and Thai, but that is actually what I should be doing right now! See you later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment