Sunday, June 17, 2012

Went to a party yesterday, came back with a sheep!

C and I were invited to a party yesterday. It was the Irish Quiz Night hosted by a singing group in the area. One of the other Middlebury exchange students has been singing in that group since she got there, and she invited us to this party last night.  We arrived, took part in the potluck meal and the five rounds of questions - not all about Ireland, but quite a few of them. We met lots of people, had some wine, ate traditional Irish food and not-so-traditional Irish food and had a blast.

Two really exceptional things happened there. One of them requires a bit of back story. Last year, a friend of mine from good ol' Meadville, PA was in Germany with her family. This friend was in my German and dance classes in high school, we grew up in the same group of kids. When they were in Germany, they happened to be in the train station in Boppard and were rather lost while they were there. At that time, my friend decided to ask a girl there for help - that person was very nice and helped them to get wherever they were going. Now, zoom forward  a year to the party last night. We walked in and another one of the singers (a friend of my Middlebury friend) came up to me and said, "So, I saw that you had responded to the Facebook-Event for tonight and I looked at your profile page. I know somebody you know!"

I must have had a very confused look on my face. But can you guess? She was the one who had helped out my friend in the train station last year. It's cliché to say "what a small world", but MAN. It really is sometimes!

The other amazing thing was the new friend I made last night. In keeping with the theme, there were sheep of all kinds all around the room- two dimensional drawings or posters, calendars with sheep, stuffed animals, you name it. This little guy happened to be sitting on our table and as one of the hosts saw me admiring him, she immediately went to ask the person who had brought him if I could keep him, and they said yes! :)

His name is Carson. :)

Also, as you can see from the jersey I'm wearing, Germany is playing again tonight! I hope you all will be watching! :D  

That was the update for today - Carson's gonna keep me company while I write about Thai culture for a while. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment