Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Damn it, it's high time for another post!

Hey, everyone.

I've been gone a while, it's true. I didn't feel quite ready to write for a while, but I had an experience yesterday that reminded me that I do like writing, regardless of what anyone else thinks of my writing (or, perhaps even more importantly, what I think of it).

Since we last spoke, I have been accepted into two programs for next year and have chosen to attend the Budapest Semesters in Mathematics program. I start in September. I have survived half of my final semester at Mills - a semester during which I tutor for more hours per week than I am actually in class. I've started to swim, I've started to love rap music, I've realized I want to get my PhD in math, and I've gotten to know me a bit. And I've lost patience for pretentious blog posts!

It's been a busy semester. I'm living in an apartment now on campus, with four other lovely folks. Having control over my own living situation has been a breath of fresh air. I never have a day without spinach and sriracha, my flatmates and I get along, and it feels right that graduation is in 67 days.

Yesterday, I attended a meeting of a new-ish club on campus: Poetry for Scientists. (creative nonfiction - can you take topics from various sciences and write about them in creative ways? metaphors, poems, what have you. True stories told well. )We had some discussions and wrote for fifteen minutes on one word: displacement - and its definitions in physics, psychology, and sociology. I listened to pieces that others had written and got really excited about writing again. This semester, besides proofs and java programs, I've been writing UN Resolutions (also a blast - it's not every day that I get to talk in third person as Germany) and the occasional text message. To write creatively gives me a thrill.

However, it is again that time - actually, past it - that time when I have to do some homework before bed so I don't panic in the morning. But everything is under control. Something fun or exciting is planned every day for the next 7 days (seriously!), and things are good.  If you happen to feel like posting something here and have an idea for a free-write topic for the next Poetry for Scientists meeting, let me know! (Displacement has been one, "what is a number" was another...just to give you an idea.)

No comments:

Post a Comment