Thursday, March 14, 2013

Not enough lifetimes!

A few nights ago, I had dinner with a friend - one of those people who isn't a good friend, but you sure as hell wish he/she were. We get along so well. We get each other. And we make each other laugh. And of course, we only get to know each other two short months before we graduate and are going to go completely separate ways. And we're both busy as all-get-out.

Whoops! This was not going to be a post about how I don't have enough lifetimes to be friends (proper, real friends) with all the people I want to be friends with (though now that I think about it, I think that's true as well) -- no, I wanted to write this because this person is studying music. Well, no, actually she's studying psychology, but she's also kinda studying music.

Proper, theoretical music. All the different kinds of sounds and chords and how do you write them down, what happens when they interact, etc. I don't know what I'm talking about, because I'm not a music student - but she does, and she talked about it, and I saw that same level of abstraction that we get into in my Abstract Algebra class. And I was hooked. I want to know! I want to know why those chords interact the way they do, who decided to call them what, what does it mean if this set is all there at the same time.

But then, I go to my Tango class and listen to my teacher (a graduate student in the dance program) talk to us about her experience with dance. I get the chance to dance with her and can just feel the difference of dancing with someone who dances. And I just want to drop it all and be a dancer.

This is why I can't go to any concerts or performances. My whimsy is like a chameleon - anything I see done well, I want to know what it's like to do it well, to be around people who do it well! And thus, I need multiple lifetimes to live all these lives, learn all I can learn in all of these areas. There's so much out there.

For the meantime, I'll do my best with Algebra (for you interested folks, we're starting Galois Theory), and continue to be an avid amateur tangoer, swimmer, programmer, and model UN participater.

No comments:

Post a Comment