Saturday, June 1, 2013

Time in Meadville drawing to a close.

I'm sitting in the den of my mother's house, looking at the setting sun through the trees in the woods in our backyard. My hometown really is beautiful. I didn't appreciate it much growing up. But even on these humid summer days, when I walk and see the rhododendrons in full bloom and the green everywhere, it's really quite stunning.

It's been good to be home. I've seen people that I haven't had the chance to see in years. And it was a necessary pause after the end of the semester.  It's only now just struck me that when I fly back to California next week, I'm really going to be starting something new and something rather alone compared to my normal life the past few years. For the first time in four years, I'm going to move to a place where I will not be surrounded by family or friends. True, I have some friends that are in the Bay Area, but living in the same city is not the same as living in the same apartment or on the same campus. I'm looking forward to the summer - to working, learning, getting to know San Francisco - but I'm a little scared, too.  Scared in that way that just makes me want to do it, you know? To start.

And I'm about to! In the meantime, I'm having tea with friends, watching Star Trek (yes, again. I did just see it last week. It was awesome the second time, too), catching up on Downton Abbey, and walking with my dog through the woods.

I'll write again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment