Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Walk Around Mills

After breakfast this morning, Erin and I took a stroll through the campus and I wanted to share some of the resulting photos with all of you. You'll see them at the end of this post.

Besides going on walks, I have spent most of my weekend doing homework in addition to going out to a sushi restaurant last night with Erin to visit our friend Shivangi, who was in town for her birthday. Shivangi was a student here at Mills and did a program that Mills has with USC (University of Southern California in LA) where she did three years of a mostly math major at Mills and then transferred to USC where in two years, she will get her MA in Engineering. She is one of those people whom I did not know very well in my time here until the very end of my sophomore year - right before I was leaving for Germany. We started to get very close and hang out and have a blast together, and then I left for my year abroad - which was coincidentally her last year at Mills. Now I'm back here, and she's in LA. She is also one of those fantastic people who said to me during sophomore year "You're going to be in Germany? I'm totally coming to visit!" - and then DID.  I'm sure I wrote about her visit when it happened. 

The point is, it was her birthday and her family lives up in this part of California, so she came up for a visit and we went to her birthday dinner with friends last night. It was so good to see her again and meet some of her other friends - and to eat sushi and have a generally merry time. It is just too easy to get boxed into the studying life, the one that has youtube as its only escape - but I've already gone into that on other days.  The point is, I think I really needed a night out, and last night was fan-damn-tastic.

Today, the main break I took was to go to the gym and listen to more of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo- still as engaging as before, though very cruelly tantalizingly talking about sub-zero weather in Nowheresville in Sweden when I was boiling on the exercise bike. Now, Erin is chillin' in my room in the taco chair and I decided to take a break from imploding my brain trying to think of a topic for a response paper in my Women's Studies class and to update all of you.

Also, this week I may be doing a presentation in my Film Music class on just why it is that the music in the film Pirates of the Caribbean worked as well as it did. Only a few students will get to/have to (depending on how you feel!) present in class, depending on who the professor picks, so I will let you know.

Now I should do some more academic work, but here are those pictures. :)

(Shiv is the one in the tiger-striped shirt next to me, and in front of Erin (who is next to me) is Shivangi's sister, Neha)

A few shots from behind the dining hall...


An old theater place behind the art building, near the dorm I was in my freshman year.
 The vines inside that structure above...

 An old building whose rear entrance we discovered today.

 The path parallel to the main road on campus that leads to the swimming pool and track.
 Amazing fractal leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment