Monday, July 1, 2013

Humble the hard way

So, I spent today with my nose in a book. Or with my nose rather close to the computer screen at times when I had to look up numerous words. Every sentence in this book that I'm reading generates a fractal, where one line splits into about ten as I have to find the definitions of ten terms in the sentence, each of those individual definitions contain words I need to look up, and I wind up with a bit of a headache and thinking, "So, that's cool and I kinda get it." I suppose this is what I get for being a financial modeling intern with no economics, no econometrics, no statistics, and purely theoretical probability. Oops.

Good news is that even though it was an extremely basic definition, I forgot a definition at the end of the day (my brain has reached saturation for the next little while, a.k.a. til after dinner) and was on my way through the internet to find that definition, when all of a sudden I remembered it. A teeensy tiny victory, like tying a shoe at the bottom of Mount Everest - pathetic on its own, but still necessary to reach the summit.

In other news, xkcd was great again today: check it out. I witnessed an argument/discussion about this exact topic a few days ago and have mixed feelings myself about it. But this is a great jab at the issue at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment