Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Today's Realizations

1. Biking through Berkeley at 6:30 is fun.

2. I still get confused about whether there's 50 cards in a deck and 52 states in the US or the other way around.

3. I've gone into the shower with my glasses on 3 times this month, and twice with my watch.

4. If you google the words "weight" and "index", instead of learning about a weighted index, you get a lot of articles about effing BMI. This country needs to sort out its priorities.

5. I am, apparently, totally capable of becoming that person who says "No thanks, I think I just want to sit here and manipulate these numbers and figure out stuff...." instead of going to get lunch with people. I know I'm not alone in that, but I did not expect to ever exhibit that tendency. I'm sure it won't be me all the time.

6. Setting weights in an index is hard (i.e. which of these component bits are more important in determining the total outcome of some thing - for example, if I'm setting up an index for GPAs of students, some relevant component bits are 1. how much sleep they get, 2. how much they study, 3. how often they play Bejeweled, 4. how often they watch Real Housewives of Whatever,  - and then I would have to determine how important those factors are in relation to each other). And equally hard to stop manipulating once you've started.

7. Starting off the day with jasmine tea, a friend, and four dogs in the woods really puts things in place for the morning.

8. I still don't know what to do when I'm asked for money on the street by homeless people. In SF, it gets pretty cruel - right next to the BART station at which I arrive every morning, there's a woman who sits with her tiny (I presume) daughter and asks for money. As soon as I get my next paycheck, I've vowed to go into a Peets or something and get at least one person a cup of coffee or something similar, but man, it still makes me so uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment