Friday, July 5, 2013

The " " Person

You know, I was thought of as Rachel's sister for a long time. And after that, as "the dance person" for a while, too. Then, "that girl who was an exchange student". And at Mills last year (and since) - "the math person". It happened really suddenly to me. I declared my major as a sophomore and nobody really noticed and nobody needed to - I had friends, classes, etc. But all of a sudden, as a tutor in my senior year, it became apparent that people thought of me that way! I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them thought of me like this.  Man, that cracked me up today.

It has been the mother of all struggles to get myself to do work today, but I think that means it was time to take a break. Well, I should clarify. In the morning, for about three hours, I made myself take a practice Math subject GRE - I haven't laughed so much in a while. Some of those words describing the problems I hadn't read in at least three years, let alone actually been able to do the problems, and some of the things on there I had never ever heard of! But getting a score like the one I did this morning (not telling) in July when the test is in October is alright. Especially because it was so much better than the "studying" I've been doing before, because I actually do need to work on problems and it's hard to know where to start, but a practice test gives you a great opportunity. I'm working through the answers to the practice test (one of my prep books came with 6 complete practice tests, which is awesome) and it's been fun to re-learn and learn new things. I found my math brain. I thought I was mistaken and a different Emily had been at Mills for all those years, especially given how I felt while studying for the general GRE. Turns out, being interested in what it is you are studying makes a hell of a difference. I guess that's why I majored in math in the first place.

Also, quick question. What would they do if I were to write 'this space left intentionally blank' on some of my answers on the GRE, or on any test for that matter? Legitimate forms and tests do that all the time. In the meantime, here's something to chuckle at (for those of you who haven't seen it before). Some groovy dance moves.


No comments:

Post a Comment